Xenharmonic Guitarist

• December 13, 2018, 03:01:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pics of my 31-tone RGA8  (Read 3708 times)

Gedankenwelt

• The Initiated
  • ♥ marvel + zeus = orwell temperament ♥
    • SoundCloud profile
Pics of my 31-tone RGA8
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »

Here are some pictures of my 31-EDO Ibanez RGA8.

The first one is in front of my Scale-tree / Stern-Brocot tree door poster:
(an important diagram if you're really interested in EDOs or MOS scales)

Another picture; notice how the Stern-Brocot tree is reflected on the guitars' cutaway:

...and here's the last picture, where the lower part of the neck is much better recognizable:

So far I'm very content with the result. Playability is very good, though chords can be a problem, especially larger barre chords, or chords where two fingers are placed on the same fret on adjacent strings. Also, the top ~8 frets (except for the final 62th fret) are a little difficult to play. I'm not sure if I just need to practice more, or if these are permanent problems, but even if it's the latter I'm perfectly happy! :)

I couldn't sufficiently verify how accurate the intonation is, but a decent guitar tuner is already on its way.
Anyway, the chords sound very consonant, and after I got used to the consonant major and minor chords in 31-EDO, I was shocked how dissonant those chords sound in 12-EDO.

The luthier who refretted the guitar is Nick from Nick Page Guitars in Berlin / Germany. He's not into microtonal / xenharmonic music theory, but if you specify where the frets should go, he can laser-cut the fret slots at those exact positions.

Here are two other great guitars Nick built / converted for me:

The top one is an original custom design. It's a 12-EDO guitar, but with 8 strings, 36 frets per string (most of them scalloped), and a beautiful design! :)
When tuned ADGCFADG, the range is 6 octaves minus a wholetone, due to the 3 octaves per string, and if you'd add a fourth above and an octave below, you'd get the full range of a piano.

The one at the bottom is a fretless Ibanez RG7 conversion. I love the resonance produced due to the strings having immediate contact with the maple neck, and fretless is fascinating anyways, but so far I didn't feel confident enough to seriously play on a fretless instrument.
My current plans are to add "fret markers" for 94-EDO, but that may change, and my current focus is on the 31-tone guitar. If you want to learn more about my 94-EDO plans, read here.

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
Re: Pics of my 31-tone RGA8
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »

Amazing, thanks for this post. The other 2 guitars are also stunning. The accuracy of the 31EDO frets is high, i have an eye for parallel lines and can usually spot mistakes in most xen guitars.

Gedankenwelt

• The Initiated
  • ♥ marvel + zeus = orwell temperament ♥
    • SoundCloud profile
Re: Pics of my 31-tone RGA8
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 05:11:07 AM »

The accuracy of the 31EDO frets is high, i have an eye for parallel lines and can usually spot mistakes in most xen guitars.

Yeah, Nick did a great job there!

When I mentioned intonation accuracy, it's just that I know that it's virtually impossible to get perfect intonation with straight frets, and I wondered how large the deviation is for the lower or higher frets on certain strings.

It's not that I worry, though, and I already love this guitar! :)