Xenharmonic Guitarist

• May 23, 2018, 09:02:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squeaky Toy  (Read 1959 times)

Easy Listening

• The Initiated
    • soundcloud
    • Email
Squeaky Toy
« on: April 20, 2013, 06:54:32 AM »

... at least that might be what we're called ...

I helped start a Buddhist center here about 1.5 years ago--and did not expect to get a band out of it! We hope to draw in another young Buddhist from another group who's a dedicated bassist; if that happens, we'll have three guitarists, which I think will suit us. I've moved most of my gear & instruments into the practice space and we all rotate through various combinations of tuning systems. These combinations have all been interesting and most not actually challenging; without any plan, music just happens. One thing I didn't agree with on these forums was the idea that 19 and 31 were better fits because, something like "what if I brought a 14 tone, the bassist brought a 17 tone and the other guitarist had an 18?" as if this would prohibit music. On the contrary, this is exactly the kind of music I want to play!

I've been less than financially freed up, and haven't put any money into converting guitars in many moons, which distresses me somewhat, but playing with these guys has been "the fun" ... meanwhile it makes me even more anxious to convert instruments, in order to put more options in all of our hands.

The first recording, unintentionally, is not a crazy combination of tunings ... this wasn't intentional, just what happened. It features a 19-edo bass with two 12-edo guitars. Thinking about (very limited) cassette runs of these, a long sequence of an improv unit evolving ...

would love to hear what you think
https://soundcloud.com/squeaky-toy-2/4-18-13-stc001a
Edit: moved the file to a new soundcloud, and edited the file down to 19 minutes
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:27:51 AM by Easy Listening »

slimeguitar

• The Initiated
Re: Squeaky Toy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:23:21 AM »

I like it! Sounds good...That's awesome that you have a band to jam with..I've been wanting to create an experimental microtonal fusion/metal jam band for a while now. It is no easy feat finding people on the same page as me conceptually!

Gedankenwelt

• The Initiated
  • ♥ marvel + zeus = orwell temperament ♥
    • SoundCloud profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:11:42 PM »

I like it too, it sounds very pleasing and relaxing to me! :)

In case someone is interested, Easy Listening and I discussed this topic before. Back then, I didn't know that what I was refering to is called maximal evenness. In short:

The idea is that if you have two edos, you can approximate the smaller edo within the larger edo, and the result is a quasi-equal MOS scale in the larger edo. You can then determine the generator for this MOS, and a corresponding generator in the smaller edo. For example, for 12edo and 19edo that would be a 7\12 and a 11\19 generator (meantone). If you stack those generators only a few times, the resulting intervals are pretty similar, and the further you go, the greater the deviation. So tunings based on such generators are like a lowest common denominator for both edos.

If you want to combine 9edo with 19edo, the common basis is negri (generators 1\9 and 2\19). For 9edo and 31edo, it's orwell (2\9 and 7\31). For 9edo and 16edo, it's armodue (5\9 and 9\16), and for 9edo and 26edo, it's secund (1\9 and 3\26).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:06:27 AM by Gedankenwelt »

Easy Listening

• The Initiated
    • soundcloud
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:10:46 AM »

Thank you! Brilliant :) maximal evenness ... :)