Xenharmonic Guitarist

• August 17, 2018, 11:21:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 95291 times)

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
Re: New member introductions
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »

I have already, in a way, i'm so impressed by your music i emailed him to make him aware of it. I also told him how much you like IVOR, he said that knowing that made him very happy ;)
I'm primarily a visual artist, Jacky and i collaborated on this audio-visual album http://www.xen-arts.com/2011/05/album-release-symmetries-2011.html. My art and his amazing ambient music.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:08:21 AM by Mat »

Tvphannel

• The Initiated
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »

Hi Chris, you have now been initiated and have full permissions. I'm in contact with Jacky Ligon who created IVOR, he's an awesome and cool guy. When you say you're modding, what are you creating?

Sorry I disappeared, I've been modding my guitars (I work very slowly), currently on the list is 27-edo, then a mod to 13 for my acoustic. I believe we've spoken on sevenstring.org actually.

Gedankenwelt

• The Initiated
  • ♥ marvel + zeus = orwell temperament ♥
    • SoundCloud profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »

Hey, thanks for mentioning IVOR! I installed an open source DAW (Psycle), and had some fun toying around with IVOR using a 12-tone Casablanca scale in 31-edo! :)

Is there a DAW you'd recommend for working with IVOR (commercial / non-commercial)? Something that supports a flexible notation for an arbitrary number of notes per octave would be nice!

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »

Tvphannel ... no problem ... yeah on sevenstring i am 'ixlramp' and i think i just worked out you are 'necris'.

Hey guys, don't forget Jacky's 'FMTS' FM synthesis free softsynth (not that i understand FM synthesis):
http://www.xen-arts.com/search/label/FM%20synthesis

Gedankenwelt, I know nothing about DAWs, perhaps the guys at the new XA forum can help.

Gedankenwelt

• The Initiated
    • SoundCloud profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »

Hey guys, don't forget Jacky's 'FMTS' FM synthesis free softsynth (not that i understand FM synthesis):
http://www.xen-arts.com/search/label/FM%20synthesis

Thanks! :)

If you're interested in understanding FM synthesis, I could explain the basic concept (I had to implement it for my very simple software synthesizer). It's basically a sine with a vibrato, where the vibrato frequency is identical to the pitch frequency (i.e. very high). Due to the high vibrato frequency, it's not perceived as a vibrato, but as a tone with a harmonic spectrum. The harmonic spectrum is characterized by the vibrato's intensity.

Gedankenwelt, I know nothing about DAWs, perhaps the guys at the new XA forum can help.

Oh, I assumed you'd use IVOR. Or do you use it in another way, w/o a DAW (= digital audio workstation. e.g. Cubase, Reason, Frooty Loops etc.)?

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »

IVOR and FMTS are windows only and i'm a Linux guy.

I'm a beginner at using a computer to make music, i only started a few months ago when i started writing Puredata programs to generate fractal music. I use Linux free software: Zynaddsubfx softsynth and Hydrogen drum machine plugged straight into a very simple recorder. I'm using an old laptop with poor sound performance, i get signal dropouts so currently i'm trying to keep things as simple as possible to reduce load on the system.

For recording guitars i much prefer to use a hardware multitrack digital recorder (BOSS BR-600 has built-in drum machine, effects and mastering). I find the flickering screen glare, fan noise and high pitch electronic whistle of a computer make a fairly unpleasant atmosphere for recording.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:26:20 PM by Mat »

Gedankenwelt

• The Initiated
    • SoundCloud profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 05:05:46 AM »

IVOR and FMTS are windows only and i'm a Linux guy.
I like that attidude! I did some things under Ubuntu, but wasn't really happy with the direction they took, so I'm looking for another Linux OS; maybe Arch Linux, or Gentoo.

I programmed my softsynth in C++, and did almost everything by myself w/o using OS specific libraries, so it was possible to define some macros at the program header that could be changed to compile it under Windows / Linux and 32 / 64 bit. However, it only generates wave files from a text file (no direct playback) and can't be combined with other plugins via VST etc., so it's somewhat limited. And it never reached a state in which I wanted to release it. ::)
My plan is to rebuild it from scratch as a parser for a textbased score format that uses CSound or another OS independent softsynth. This would be a major project though, and I don't even know much about CSound, so don't expect anything in the near future...

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »

Twistedblues ... welcome, you have now been initiated and have full permissions.

planesoftone

• The Initiated
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »

Howdy all,
I'm a composer who's long been into microtonal and spectral sounds, but is just now trying to get my instrument (guitar) to do this microtonal stuff.  I'm thinking of going 31TET.  I want to get as close to just as possible.  Looking online for guitars and necks, however, I've been disappointed to find very little is offered (and what is seems astronomically priced).  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Peace (and harmony) ;)

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »

Hiya you're in :)
Strat neck from Sword is the lowest price i've seen http://swordguitars.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/strat-necks.html
Do link us to your music if you have any online.

Strieder

• The Initiated
  • Composer
    • www.johnstrieder.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

Hi, I'm John Strieder, Composer of Contemporary Classical Music (my music here: http://soundcloud.com/johnstrieder ).

I also have a metal-influenced project called "Indifferent Magma" ( http://www.facebook.com/indifferentmagma ), which uses microtonal tuned electric guitars (and other things), but until now the microtonality there comes from special tunings, not from special fretboards or fretless :) We're planning to release our first Album in March.

Great the forum is back!

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »

:)

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »

Welcome to EtherealEntity6, you are now in the membergroup with full permissions, so it's not essential to introduce yourself but you can if you want ;)

slimeguitar

• The Initiated
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »

Not sure if I ever introduced myself on here yet..but I'm sure some of you know me already. This is Zach Curley in case you didn't already know...

ninly

• The Initiated
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 05:31:16 PM »

Not sure I did, either. Hi all. Ninly here, Jason Conklin on XA if you're over there. you can find most of my microtonal experimentations (including a few 11edo guitar things) under soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/ninly). I've also got a couple of 10edo and 11edo guitar-songs on youtube under the same username. And there's a bit of free-improv/noise stuff I did a few years ago, not explicitly microtonal, at http://semiautomaticgroundenvironment.bandcamp.com.

I've been informally/passively interested in tuning and microtonality for most of my life, but began studying the theory in earnest just about 2 years ago. Lately (past 6 months or so, since my 2nd child was getting ready to be born) I've been in an intermittent musical lull, but still listen casually and think about the stuff quite a bit.

Other interests include flute, jazz, avant/ambient/noise and free improv, engineering (software, electrical, systems), and maybe a few other things ... more than I can count.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4