Xenharmonic Guitarist

• August 17, 2018, 11:22:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ways to promote MG?  (Read 66313 times)

Gedankenwelt

• The Initiated
  • ♥ marvel + zeus = orwell temperament ♥
    • SoundCloud profile
Re: ways to promote MG?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 08:56:46 AM »

Thanks for your input, bostjan - I'll try to remember that, if I decide to post a video on youtube. When promoting microtonal music, it's often helpful to roughly describe what you're doing, i.e. which tuning system and scales you use, and how you can obtain a microtonal instrument. However, if you have to tell a lot of stuff, it's probably better to put that text into the description part of the video.

I think a major problem of microtonal music is that there seems to be no good place to discuss it. This forum is mainly for guitarists, and registration is a little cumbersome, nonoctave.com is down, and Xenharmonic Alliance is only accessible to Facebook users (which I boycott). The tuning [math] list on yahoo groups looks very promising, but requires to register a yahoo mail account, which I don't see much point in (providing an existing email adress should be enough for registration). And discussing microtonal music in a "normal" music forum is usually pretty exhausting. I think it would be nice to have a forum like this one, but for discussing microtonal music in general, and w/o the registration hurdle.

P.S.: I read your thread about string gauges and inharmonicity on sevenstring.org some time ago - pretty interesting stuff! If you have some data on core / wrap diameters, please send me a PM! ;)

Mat

• Administrator
  • Space colonist
    • Music at soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »

I think a major problem of microtonal music is that there seems to be no good place to discuss it. This forum is mainly for guitarists, and registration is a little cumbersome, nonoctave.com is down, and Xenharmonic Alliance is only accessible to Facebook users (which I boycott). The tuning [math] list on yahoo groups looks very promising, but requires to register a yahoo mail account, which I don't see much point in (providing an existing email adress should be enough for registration). And discussing microtonal music in a "normal" music forum is usually pretty exhausting.

Yeah i sympathise with this, i reluctantly and anonymously joined FB to access the XA. I really miss nonoctave, it was the best forum and coded by someone fairly trustworthy. Feel free to discuss any microtonal subjects here as it will be of interest to the (few) members here. I feel bad about the disabled registration, when Ron made me admin it was a shock to discover that spammers make open registration almost impossible, i was spending an hour a day deleting them.
I am on sevenstring as 'ixlramp': http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/members/ixlramp.html and occasionally post microtonal stuff there.

Gedankenwelt

• The Initiated
  • ♥ marvel + zeus = orwell temperament ♥
    • SoundCloud profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »

Feel free to discuss any microtonal subjects here as it will be of interest to the (few) members here.
Thanks, I was going to post some topics soon anyway, I just need to scan in some stuff first. I also sent my 8-string baritone guitar to a luthier who will convert it to 31-EDO, so I'll probably be able to record some tracks and post them here in the near future. ;)

P.S.: I sent you a PM with some suggestions about the registration issue, hope they're helpful
Pages: 1 [2]