Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/ifex/mtg.redkeylabs.com/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/ifex/mtg.redkeylabs.com/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/ifex/mtg.redkeylabs.com/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Friendly chromatics

General > Theory

Friendly chromatics

(1/4) > >>

Easy Listening:
I wouldn't have guessed that 19-edo contains (so to speak, by the ears) 12-edo ... when I try to explain it to musicians the response is at best confusion, usually simple disbelief. Playing 19-edo is the only way I could have imagined it.

So anyway ...

5 - _
6 - _
7 - _
8 - _
9 - _
10 - _
11 - _
12 - 19 - (- 24? or?)
13 - _
14 - _
15 - _
16 - 25
17 - _
18 - _
19 - _
20 - _
21 - _
22 - _
23 - _
24 - _

etc.

If anyone (Ron?) can help fill in the blanks I'd be very grateful!
Is there is a way to understand it as predictable?

I found this http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/Chromatic+pairs while looking - seems very related but different, and I don't understand most of it. However, drifting around since then I can't believe I haven't gotten into this wiki yet. Good gosh.

EricJacksonArts:
Hmm...I'm not terribly sure I understand this.

Are you saying that 19TET sounds like/similar to 12TET--or that it can produce similar sounding music? I could see that.
I don't dwell in ETs too often (aside from 12, which is primarily when I'm teaching--I don't write in it anymore), but the way I see it, 12, 19, 31, are all capable of producing similar sounding music. With those higher than 12 incorporating greater harmonic representation the higher you go (though the 3rd harmonic becomes flaky in 19 and 31, it renders 5, 7, 11, and 13 better than 12).

But I'm no expert in ETs. I don't find them too tempting a resource for my music.

and for the xenharmonic wiki--I find a good distance from math and more focus on music is a healthy way to explore these subjects. Have the sounds being you to the math that is necessary.

Easy Listening:

--- Quote from: EricJacksonArts on January 09, 2012, 07:05:06 PM ---Are you saying that 19TET sounds like/similar to 12TET--or that it can produce similar sounding music? I could see that.
I don't dwell in ETs too often (aside from 12, which is primarily when I'm teaching--I don't write in it anymore), but the way I see it, 12, 19, 31, are all capable of producing similar sounding music. With those higher than 12 incorporating greater harmonic representation the higher you go (though the 3rd harmonic becomes flaky in 19 and 31, it renders 5, 7, 11, and 13 better than 12).
--- End quote ---

:) yeah totally, in that you can play familiar scales in 19. and yes you're right, at least from what I understand (not experience yet) the same does apply to 31.


--- Quote from: EricJacksonArts on January 09, 2012, 07:05:06 PM ---But I'm no expert in ETs. I don't find them too tempting a resource for my music.

and for the xenharmonic wiki--I find a good distance from math and more focus on music is a healthy way to explore these subjects. Have the sounds being you to the math that is necessary.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree in a sense, but I'm limited to the edos that I've played ... and I am totally tempted by them and want to play all of them.

So, alongside the sound experience and intuitive approach, I have become more interested in the corresponding theory than ever - I never felt like I wanted or needed it when the world was all in 12-edo ... same with scales, I generally play chromatic music in 12 and always try to play the wrong note, only wanted a cursory understanding of modes and scales, and find it impossible to play anything truly wrong - to my ears any note works, any time.

My main motivation for wanting a completed list really has to do with choosing guitars ... if funds were zero issue I'd order 40 guitars today, but I have to take it 1 or 2 at a time, and as they are all temping, I think it might be helpful to understand - at least from a distance and word - how the various edos fit together, or fold into one another, a categorization for sound-worlds.

Mark Allan Barnes:
If you can only afford 1 or 2 guitars @ a time &want to try out lots of different equal temperaments, I suggest you get a fretless guitar &use cable ties as temporary frets like Chris Vaisvil does. There are details in the instruments section of this site

Easy Listening:

--- Quote from: Mark Allan Barnes on January 13, 2012, 06:02:29 AM ---If you can only afford 1 or 2 guitars @ a time &want to try out lots of different equal temperaments, I suggest you get a fretless guitar &use cable ties as temporary frets like Chris Vaisvil does. There are details in the instruments section of this site

--- End quote ---
Yeah, it's a great idea - I already have one guitar devoted to this and picked up some fret pullers, but haven't started on the mod yet ;-)
Reminds me, I should add another picture :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version